Friday, May 08, 2009

Life

This morning we were reading a book and there was a worm that had an unhappy face because he was about to get eaten by a bird. It's a baby book. For most it wouldn't be a big deal, if it was even noticed, but for my kid, this image bothered him all day. He asked me over and over why the worm had a sad face and why the bird was eating his friend and how it wasn't fair. Then he got teary eyed and asked over and over why the bird was doing that to him. My kid is super duper sensitive and he's also super smart so you can't make it all better with a word bandaid. He knows what's up. I had to get out of the house so we could get past it.

I think it had something to do with the other day while walking in the rain and splashing in puddles. He found a worm in one of the puddles in the middle of the street. We saved him by carefully picking him up with a stick and putting him in grass under a tree. He was proud to save the worm and I was happy to see my son be so thoughtful.

This is my beautiful child. I love him. His purity and spirit is just sweet and generous. When a child at the playground says to him "i don't like you" or "i don't want to play with you" he is hurt for days. I don't know what to do about it. Kids aren't very nice and i feel it gets worse as parents are less and less around their children. They say mean things. Mine doesn't. He's never said a mean word to another kid. Ever. I fear for him in the public school system.

I'm losing my point.

On the way home today after playing hard with a couple of 5 year old boys who let him run with them at the playground near the library, him tired from making havoc with a mud puddle (me letting him get knee deep in mud so he could be the star of the group) he was wiped out. But before he passed out with an apple in his hand he said to me "God made everything. God makes people. I like that."

My boy was liked today and he was one of "them" and I was happy to see his spirit rise. All day he's been worried about a worm and Wall*E too. For a few brief hours he got lost in the moment and it was beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home